MK Lokesh is new ambassador to Switzerland
New Delhi: India on Wednesday appointed senior diplomat MK Lokesh its ambassador to Switzerland to replace Chitra Narayanan, who has availed two extensions on health grounds since her retirement last year.
In an official announcement today, MEA said Mysore Kapanaiah Lokesh, an IFS officer of 1977 batch and currently Ambassador of India to the United Arab Emirates, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Switzerland.
"He is expected to take up his assignment shortly," it said.
Interestingly, Narayanan had left the External Affairs Ministry embarrassed last year when she did not leave her position in Switzerland even after an official announcement of her successor by the MEA.
The MEA had in June last year appointed the then Deputy High Commissioner to UK Rajesh Prasad to replace Narayanan.
Chitra has said she is ill and needs to remain in Switzerland to continue with her treatment and has availed two extensions which will end in November this year.
Meanwhile, Anita Nayar, an IFS officer of 1983 batch, has been appointed as the next Ambassador to the Republic of Lebanon and is expected to take up her assignment shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam