MK Lokesh is new ambassador to Switzerland
New Delhi: India on Wednesday appointed senior diplomat MK Lokesh its ambassador to Switzerland to replace Chitra Narayanan, who has availed two extensions on health grounds since her retirement last year.
In an official announcement today, MEA said Mysore Kapanaiah Lokesh, an IFS officer of 1977 batch and currently Ambassador of India to the United Arab Emirates, has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Switzerland.
"He is expected to take up his assignment shortly," it said.
Interestingly, Narayanan had left the External Affairs Ministry embarrassed last year when she did not leave her position in Switzerland even after an official announcement of her successor by the MEA.
The MEA had in June last year appointed the then Deputy High Commissioner to UK Rajesh Prasad to replace Narayanan.
Chitra has said she is ill and needs to remain in Switzerland to continue with her treatment and has availed two extensions which will end in November this year.
Meanwhile, Anita Nayar, an IFS officer of 1983 batch, has been appointed as the next Ambassador to the Republic of Lebanon and is expected to take up her assignment shortly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...