MNREGA facing crisis of implementation: Aruna Roy
New Delhi: Despite its great potential and promise, the UPA`s ambitious flagship programme MNREGA is facing a crisis of implementation, noted social activist Aruna Roy said here on Saturday.
In a letter to Congress president Sonia Gandhi on the eve of ninth MNREGA diwas, Roy said "an unambiguous commitment" should be made to the people of the country to deliver the entitlements as promised under the Act.
"Even as people ask for work, the falling figures of employment provided, is a proof of the lack of administrative and political will.
"Disturbing reports are coming from different states and districts facing a cash crunch and their consequent refusal to implement it as a true demand based programme," said Roy, a former member of the Sonia Gandhi-headed National Advisory Council (NAC) said.
"While crores of people have benefited from this scheme and useful assets have been created, its implementation remains, unfortunately suspect," she said.
Roy said that channelling MNREGA funds to the poorest, landless labourers will only benefit the economy in the long run and this understanding seems to have got lost in the anti-poor rhetoric that sees this expenditure as a waste.
She said that the February 2 is a good occasion for all of us to reaffirm the commitment to the basic principles of MNREGA.
"There are several other initiatives like the Kaam Maango Abhiyan (some of which will be highlighted at the Sammelan) that should be extended across the country. Most importantly, the Government of India must at the highest level pass a message that the demand driven aspect of MNREGA is sacrosanct and adequate funds will be made available," Roy said.
"Along with this an unambiguous commitment should be made to the people of the country to deliver the entitlements as promised under the Act," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand