MNREGA hit by scams, says Congress MP
New Delhi: Corruption has badly hit the ambitious task of providing jobs to rural poor through the MNREGA, a Congress member lamented in the Lok Sabha on Wednesday.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Datta Meghe said MNREGA may have been started with lofty ideals seven years back but its result was "not that good" as corruption has virtually made the scheme hollow.
Noting that crores of people have been provided job under the scheme envisaging 100 days employment in a year, he alleged that the work performed is not of good quality even though huge sums have been spent.
Meghe was among several members who raised issues of urgent public importance in the Zero Hour.
Sumitra Mahajan (BJP) made a strong plea for postponing implementation of the new food safety regulations which has affected hawkers vending foodstuffs and restaurants. She said the issue has led to a lot of unrest in several states including Madhya Pradesh, Chhattisgarh and Rajasthan.
Khagen Das (CPI-M) drew the attention of the government to the sorry plight of employees of ailing Air India as they are not being paid salaries regularly.
Narayan Singh Amlave (Cong) wanted a fair deal to cooks preparing the Mid-day meals in schools. He claimed that the cooks are paid a pittance.
Mohindersingh K P (Cong) wanted relief to be provided to the next of kin of those dead and injured in the recent collapse of a factory building in Jalandhar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video