MoD asks Army to change Chief`s date in records
New Delhi: After declaring Army Chief Gen V
K Singh`s date of birth as May 10,1950, the Defence Ministry
has asked the Army`s official record-keeper Adjutant General`s
Branch to make the change in its records which had May 10,
The AG`s branch has been taking 1951 as the birth year
on the basis of Gen Singh`s Matriculation certificate whereas
the Military Secretary (MS) Branch shows 1950.
The Defence Ministry has sent the communication to the
Army amid questions as to whether Gen Singh will take legal
recourse as part of his push to ensure that 1951 is treated as
his birth year, which will enable him an extension of about
In its communication which runs into several pages, the
Defence Ministry has cited reasons for maintaining 1950 as the
birth year, with regard to which the Attorney General had also
given his opinion.
The change in service records is essential as only after
the AG Branch notifies the MS Branch about the date of Army
chief`s retirement, it would issue a letter to it about his
superannuation that would be May 2012, the sources said.
Meanwhile, sources said the Ministry has done "due
diligence" to see that the natural succession plan of the Army
is not disturbed in case Gen Singh takes any step like
approaching the Armed Forces Tribunal or civil court for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test