MoD asks Army to change Chief`s date in records
New Delhi: After declaring Army Chief Gen V
K Singh`s date of birth as May 10,1950, the Defence Ministry
has asked the Army`s official record-keeper Adjutant General`s
Branch to make the change in its records which had May 10,
The AG`s branch has been taking 1951 as the birth year
on the basis of Gen Singh`s Matriculation certificate whereas
the Military Secretary (MS) Branch shows 1950.
The Defence Ministry has sent the communication to the
Army amid questions as to whether Gen Singh will take legal
recourse as part of his push to ensure that 1951 is treated as
his birth year, which will enable him an extension of about
In its communication which runs into several pages, the
Defence Ministry has cited reasons for maintaining 1950 as the
birth year, with regard to which the Attorney General had also
given his opinion.
The change in service records is essential as only after
the AG Branch notifies the MS Branch about the date of Army
chief`s retirement, it would issue a letter to it about his
superannuation that would be May 2012, the sources said.
Meanwhile, sources said the Ministry has done "due
diligence" to see that the natural succession plan of the Army
is not disturbed in case Gen Singh takes any step like
approaching the Armed Forces Tribunal or civil court for
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo