Model APMC Act adopted by 16 states
New Delhi: In a bid to reform 0the
agriculture sector by providing farmers post-harvest marketing
infrastructure, the Centre has circulated a model bill which
has so far been adopted by 16 states, the Lok Sabha was
informed on Tuesday.
Agriculture marketing is a state subject and most of the
states have their own Agriculture Procedure Marketing
Committee (APMC) Act to regulate agriculture marketing.
But in an effort to reform the sector by providing
farmers with an improved infrastructure and "alternative"
marketing channels, the Agriculture Ministry has prepared a
model APMC Act and circulated to various states and Union
Territories in 2003 for implementation.
16 of the states have so far amended their Acts based on
the model provided by the Centre. "We are following it up with
other states," Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar told the
He said the model bill includes provisions for direct
marketing and purchase of agriculture produce from farmers,
contract farming and setting up of markets in private and
cooperative sectors among other things.
K S Rao (Cong) lamented that farmers were not getting
remunerative prices and said while subsidy is provided in PDS
on oil, farmers were being denied any such facility in
production of oil seeds.
On his supplementary on export of agriculture produce,
Pawar said it was on his and other members` request, the
government has allowed export of 20 lakh tonne of rice and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video