Model of world`s largest Hindu temple unveiled in Bihar
Patna: Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday unveiled a model of the world`s largest Hindu temple with a towering height of 405 feet and a hall with a seating capacity of 20,000 people, to be built in the state.
The model of the proposed Virat Ramayan Mandir was unveiled by Nitish Kumar in the presence of Dwarka Peeth Shankaracharya Swami Swaroopananda Saraswati in Patna, said Acharya Kishore Kunal, secretary of Patna-based cash rich Mahavir Mandir Trust that is undertaking the ambitious project.
The temple will be built at Janki Nagar near Kesaria in West Champaran district, about 125km from here. It will cost over Rs 500 crore.
Kunal, the man behind the mega project, said the construction will commence soon.
The Virat Ramayan Mandir will be almost double the height of the world famous 12th century Angkor Wat temple complex in Cambodia, which is 215 feet high, he said.
The complex will comprise 18 temples with high spires while and its Shiv temple would have the largest Shivling in the world, another distinction.
Kunal said the work of earth-filling at the 190-acre site has already been completed.
He said the temple would have a seating capacity of a whopping 20,000 people in the hall facing the main temple having the idols of Ram, Sita, Luv and Kush.
According to him, no temple in the world has such a huge seating capacity.
He said the temple was to be named "Virat Angkor Wat Ram Mandir" but later its name was changed following objections by people in Cambodia.
Angkor Wat was built during Hindu king Suryavarman`s rule and is now a Unesco World Heritage site.
"Funds for the temple will be donated by devotees, particularly common people from across the country," Kunal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks