Model of world`s largest Hindu temple unveiled in Bihar
Patna: Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar on Wednesday unveiled a model of the world`s largest Hindu temple with a towering height of 405 feet and a hall with a seating capacity of 20,000 people, to be built in the state.
The model of the proposed Virat Ramayan Mandir was unveiled by Nitish Kumar in the presence of Dwarka Peeth Shankaracharya Swami Swaroopananda Saraswati in Patna, said Acharya Kishore Kunal, secretary of Patna-based cash rich Mahavir Mandir Trust that is undertaking the ambitious project.
The temple will be built at Janki Nagar near Kesaria in West Champaran district, about 125km from here. It will cost over Rs 500 crore.
Kunal, the man behind the mega project, said the construction will commence soon.
The Virat Ramayan Mandir will be almost double the height of the world famous 12th century Angkor Wat temple complex in Cambodia, which is 215 feet high, he said.
The complex will comprise 18 temples with high spires while and its Shiv temple would have the largest Shivling in the world, another distinction.
Kunal said the work of earth-filling at the 190-acre site has already been completed.
He said the temple would have a seating capacity of a whopping 20,000 people in the hall facing the main temple having the idols of Ram, Sita, Luv and Kush.
According to him, no temple in the world has such a huge seating capacity.
He said the temple was to be named "Virat Angkor Wat Ram Mandir" but later its name was changed following objections by people in Cambodia.
Angkor Wat was built during Hindu king Suryavarman`s rule and is now a Unesco World Heritage site.
"Funds for the temple will be donated by devotees, particularly common people from across the country," Kunal said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why