Moderate rains in North; over 380 UP villages flooded
New Delhi: Monsoon rains drenched parts of Northern plains on Wednesday as over 380 villages in 14 districts of Uttar Pradesh have been inundated affecting over 1.71 lakh people.
Rain evaded Delhi today after lashing the national capital for the last few days.
Delhiites witnessed a rainless but pleasant day as the temperature remained close to normal.
After yesterday`s heavy showers, the city witnessed a sunny morning. The humidity level was as high as 98 percent and dipped to 61 percent.
The maximum and minimum temperatures were recorded at 34.4 and 23.7 degrees Celsius respectively.
In UP, at least 385 villages were facing flood situation and more than 1.71 lakh people have been affected, according to a report from Relief Commissioner Office.
Relief and rescue operations were being carried out, it said.
The Ganga river was flowing above the danger mark at Bulandshahr, Ghazipur and Ballia, while the Kain river was above the red mark at Banda.
The Sharda river was flowing above the danger mark at Palia Kalan and the Ghaghra river at Elgin Bridge and Turtipar (Ballia).
So far, at least 232 people have been killed in rain and flood related incidents in the state.
Rains were witnessed in Jhansi, Mahroni, Mirzapur, Robertganj, Nazibabad, Ghaziabad, Handia, Karchana, Birdghat, Churk and Agra, Meteorological department said.
Punjab and Haryana received scattered rains as maximum temperatures hovered close to normal levels.
Chandigarh recorded a high of 34.6 degrees Celsius while the maximum temperature in neighbouring Haryana town, Ambala, settled at 35.1 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India