Moderate rains in North; over 380 UP villages flooded
New Delhi: Monsoon rains drenched parts of Northern plains on Wednesday as over 380 villages in 14 districts of Uttar Pradesh have been inundated affecting over 1.71 lakh people.
Rain evaded Delhi today after lashing the national capital for the last few days.
Delhiites witnessed a rainless but pleasant day as the temperature remained close to normal.
After yesterday`s heavy showers, the city witnessed a sunny morning. The humidity level was as high as 98 percent and dipped to 61 percent.
The maximum and minimum temperatures were recorded at 34.4 and 23.7 degrees Celsius respectively.
In UP, at least 385 villages were facing flood situation and more than 1.71 lakh people have been affected, according to a report from Relief Commissioner Office.
Relief and rescue operations were being carried out, it said.
The Ganga river was flowing above the danger mark at Bulandshahr, Ghazipur and Ballia, while the Kain river was above the red mark at Banda.
The Sharda river was flowing above the danger mark at Palia Kalan and the Ghaghra river at Elgin Bridge and Turtipar (Ballia).
So far, at least 232 people have been killed in rain and flood related incidents in the state.
Rains were witnessed in Jhansi, Mahroni, Mirzapur, Robertganj, Nazibabad, Ghaziabad, Handia, Karchana, Birdghat, Churk and Agra, Meteorological department said.
Punjab and Haryana received scattered rains as maximum temperatures hovered close to normal levels.
Chandigarh recorded a high of 34.6 degrees Celsius while the maximum temperature in neighbouring Haryana town, Ambala, settled at 35.1 degrees Celsius.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH