Modi as PM: JD-U to reconsider ties with NDA
New Delhi: The JD-U on Friday warned that it will reconsider its decision to continue ties with the BJP-led alliance NDA if it projects Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi as its Prime Ministerial candidate.
Speaking to reporters, JD-U general secretary KC Tyagi said, “We will reconsider ties with the BJP-led alliance if Narendra Modi is projected as its prime ministerial candidate.”
The reaction from Tygai came a day after reports said that JD-U, whose antipathy to Narendra Modi is well-known, could compel BJP to declare its choice for the top job.
It was reported that the JD-U is likely to make a strong demand for the early projection of the next Prime Ministerial candidate of the alliance and reassert its commitment to secularism ahead of the Lok Sabha elections.
Though party leaders remain tightlipped about the political resolution to be adopted at its two-day National Executive beginning here on Saturday, there are clear indications that the party will vehemently oppose projection of the Gujarat Chief Minister within NDA for the top job.
JD(U) President Sharad Yadav also evaded a direct reply on whether the party will oppose the projection of Modi. "We had never compromised on the issue of secularism nor will we do now," he said.
He was asked whether secular credentials of NDA`s next Prime Ministerial candidate will be an important issue to be discussed at the JD(U) meet.
On whether the party will discuss the issue of Modi`s increased projection in BJP, he said, "There is no bar on any issue. Everything can be discussed. Sky is the limit as far discussing issues is concerned.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who runs a coalition government with BJP, has been a known critic of Modi. A sizeable section in JD-U believes that parting of ways with BJP will be unavoidable if Modi is projected a Prime Ministerial candidate in the Lok Sabha polls.
Yadav, who is also the NDA convener, said that the alliance between BJP and JD-U is working on a common agenda under which BJP had to drop its controversial issues like Ram Temple, abrogation of Article 370 and Uniform Civil Code.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician