Modi could give a new sense of direction: Ex-Oz envoy
Melbourne: Former Australian High Commissioner to India John McCarthy has said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi could give India a "new sense of direction".
"India, the elections next year will probably result in a new team -- whichever party or parties come out on top. The controversial but effective opposition figure Narendra Modi could give India a new sense of direction," he said while delivering a speech at Australia India Institute here recently.
McCarthy, one of the Australia`s most accomplished diplomats, said "but given the degree to which political power in India has become more diffused in recent years, it is not assured that India will quickly regain the momentum it enjoyed in the first decade of the century.
"But, it will not go backwards and it would be a serious mistake for Australia to dilute the efforts it has put into the relationship over the past decade," he said.
McCarthy`s view has come at a time when Australian High Commissioner to India Patrick Suckling had called on Modi last week and invited him to visit Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened