Modi created deep chasm, retorts Cong on his potholes barb
New Delhi: The ongoing Congress-Narendra Modi spat today saw the Chief Minister saying that he had been left with "potholes" to fill in Gujarat by Congress which retorted that he had created a "deep chasm" in the state.
"Somebody will have to surely fill up the deep chasm, he has created," party general secretary Janardan Dwivedi said apparently alluding to the 2002 riots while responding to Modi`s remarks.
Modi had taken a dig at the party saying "my Congress friends had created so many potholes that so far I have been filling them."
"I have brought it to a level playing field now. Imagine how big those potholes were. Now the effort will be to build an impressive, grand Gujarat," the BJP leader said while replying to a question on development work done by him in Gujarat.
Modi was speaking during his hour-long interaction organised by the FICCI Ladies Organisation in which a number of entrepreneurs here.
Asked about Modi`s remarks, Dwivedi had earlier said that "party men from Gujarat will reply to it". Congress has on many occasions sought to dismiss Modi as a leader who is confined to Gujarat and one who lacks a pan-India identity.
"BJP has not taken any decision about the person whose name you are taking. I will reply to all questions on what has been said by the BJP. I do not want to take the name of a person on whose name there is no consensus even within the BJP," the Congress general secretary said.
Dwivedi also refused to respond to Modi`s barb at Rahul Gandhi today.
Talking of women`s entrepreneurship, he referred to a Jasubehn, whose pizzas could beat even known international brands, in Gujarat.
"But before our friends from the media go there to find out if Jasubehn is like Kalavati," Modi said in a barb aimed at Rahul Gandhi who had in a speech in Parliament referred to Kalavati, the widow of a poor farmer who had committed suicide in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra a few years ago.
Modi had earlier attacked Rahul Gandhi`s `beehive` remark accusing him of insulting `Bharat Mata`, prompting Congress leaders to say that metaphors denoting cohesion and unity were beyond the comprehension of "self appointed jingoists" and that Delhi is still far off for the Gujarat Chief Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened