Modi criticises Centre on Food Security Bill
Ahmedabad: Amid the Centre`s efforts to push implementation of the ambitious National Food Security Bill, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday said that Congress-led UPA government was rubbing salt on the wounds of people already grappling with price hike.
"The Congress government at Delhi (Centre) is rubbing salt on the wounds of people battling with price hike," Modi wrote on Twitter.
"After ten years, the government at Delhi has thought about the poor, we doubt their intentions," he said.
"For the last ten years in Gujarat, poor are getting wheat at Rs 2 per kg and rice at Rs 3 per kg through public distribution system...Is this not food security," Modi wrote on the micro blogging site.
Terming the National Food Security Bill a vote bank gimmick of Congress when elections are round the corner, Modi had yesterday said that they (Cong) only care for votes and did not abide by the apex court`s directives on grain distribution.
The Centre is making all out efforts to draw an all party consensus over the Food Bill. It has proposed to convene a special session to discuss the food bill.
The Food Security Bill aims at giving legal rights to nearly 67 per cent of the population over a uniform quantity of 5 kg food grains at a fixed price of Rs 1-3 per kg through ration shops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video