Modi downplays exchange of greetings between Advani, Nitish
Patna: The BJP on Monday sought to downplay warm exchange of greetings between its senior leader LK Advani and Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, describing it as standard practice under political protocol.
"The exchange of greetings by leaders of different political parties is routine practice and take place as per established political protocol," the former deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi told reporters in a reply to a question.
"Political adversaries must exchange pleasantries and refrain from practising untouchability," he said and sought to play down a brief exchange of greetings between Advani and Kumar - the first such instance of face-to-face encounter between the BJP and the JD(U) leaders after the two parties split over the Gujarat Chief Minister`s elevation as his party`s poll campaign panel chief three months ago.
"It`s good that the Bihar Chief Minister went up to the BJP patriarch and exchanged pleasantries with him," Modi said.
The former deputy chief minister, at the same time, did not forget to nudge Kumar for expressing cold vibes towards his Gujarat counterpart when the two had attended a function at the Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi earlier year.
It may be mentioned that Kumar and Advani greeted each other at the National Integration Council (NIC) function in New Delhi earlier in the day that raised many an eyebrows in political circles.
Both the Bihar Chief Minister and the BJP patriarch have been known to be staunchly opposed to the Gujarat Chief Minister`s elevation first as his party`s poll campaign panel chief and subsequently as the prime ministerial candidature.
Both Kumar and Advani had reacted strongly to Modi`s rise in the BJP hierarchy with the former splitting his party - JD(U) - from the NDA, while the latter had abstained from the national executive at Goa and the parliamentary board meeting where the Gujarat Chief Minister was elevated as the BJP poll campaign panel chief and the prime ministerial candidate respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read