‘Modi for PM’ pressure grows, key BJP-RSS meet begins
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A crucial meeting of the BJP and the Rashtriya Swayamsewak Sangh (RSS) began here on Thursday to chalk out strategy for the upcoming Assembly elections in several states and the 2014 General Elections.
According to reports, all top leaders of both the BJP and the RSS are attending the meeting, including Rajnath Singh, Narendra Modi, Sushma Swaraj and Bhaiya Ji Joshi. However, BJP veteran LK Advani will not be attending the crucial meet, which will take place in the Parliament Library building.
If BJP sources are to be believed, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi could be named the BJP`s candidate for Prime Minister for 2014 as early as September, ahead of the Assembly elections in Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh this year.
Modi has strong backing of the RSS and a large section of the BJP leaders, who have full faith in the Gujarat Chief Minister`s ability to catch big votes.
The party wants to capitalise on Modi`s rising popularity in the Assembly polls in four big states at the end of this year. This has triggered speculation that an announcement on Modi could be made before the Election Commission notification of the Assembly Elections, expected around September 21.
During today`s meeting BJP head Rajnath Singh will meet senior RSS leaders, including Bhaiya ji Joshi. He is expected to finalise the party`s blueprint for the elections at that meeting, and, as part of that exercise, get a go-ahead on Modi`s anointment.
Both the BJP and RSS top brass believe that the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, scheduled to be held in May, are unlikely to be held before February, hence Modi should be spared few months to build his campaign as the official face of the party. By then, the BJP hopes to end dissent brewing within the party and take everyone on board.
The RSS chief has played a pivotal role in bringing the house in order and ending dissent by holding a series of meetings in the last few weeks with different BJP leaders, including LK Advani, who had protested against Modi being made the BJP`s election campaign chief last month.
Bhagwat also reportedly directed Modi to take everyone on board and handed him a set of dos and don`ts, with an advise that he must base his campaign on collective leadership.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report