Modi goofup: Congress says BJP trying to invent new ancestry
New Delhi: Criticising Narendra Modi for incorrectly saying that Jana Sangh leader Shyama Prasad Mookerjee had died abroad, Congress on Monday said BJP was trying to "invent" new ancestry.
"History of Jana Sangh by Narendra ji Modi- Shyama Prasad Mookerjee died in London in 1930. Poor Mookerjee Sahib must be turning in his grave!" Union Minister Manish Tewari said in a post on social networking site Twitter, taking a swipe at the BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate.
In another tweet, he said it is "Intriguing - The past months BJP has been trying to deny parentage and invent a new ancestry. Are the ghosts of their past haunting them?"
Modi had said while addressing a gathering in Gujarat`s Kheda district that Shyama Prasad Mookerjee was a revolutionary who had died abroad but Congress never bothered to bring back his ashes.
Mookerjee had actually passed away in the country, and as per some reports, the Gujarat Chief Minister may have intended to refer to another nationalist Shyamji Krishna Verma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!