Modi govt to set up 100 smart cities
New Delhi: Government is planning to set up 100 smart cities across the country that will provide all modern amenities, education and employment opportunities.
Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said the project of 100 smart cities is in conceptualise stage and details are being worked out through discussions with all stake-holders, including state governments.
"The cities are yet to be identified," he said.
The minister said education, employment and entertainment are considered to be the key factors which forced people to migrate from rural areas to urban centres.
"Opportunities of education, employment and entertainment are concentrated mostly in urban and semi-urban centres and these three factors are forcing more and more people to leave rural areas and migrate to towns and cities," he said.
Naidu said Census of India has projected the urban population till 2026 and by that year, the country`s urban population which was 27.8 per cent in 2001 is expected to increase to 38.2 per cent.
The minister said in terms of the total urban population, it is at 31.6 per cent as per 2011 Census, while the World Urbanization Prospectus shows the level of urbanisation in 2011 in China 50.6 per cent, in Indonesia 50.7 per cent, in South Africa 62 per cent and in Brazil 84.6 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range