Modi Govt trying to dilute MGNREGA: CPI(M)
New Delhi: CPI(M) on Friday accused the Narendra Modi government of seeking to dilute or do away with social security issues, saying the dreams of "good days" have been converted into "bitter pills" after BJP assumed office.
"The dreams of `achhe din` (good days) promised in the election campaign by BJP and Narendra Modi have been converted into `kadvi dawai` (bitter pills) after BJP came to power... This is the height of hypocrisy," Politburo member Brinda Karat told a press conference here.
Karat, who shot off a letter to Rural Development Minister Nitin Gadkari accusing the government of trying to "dilute or do away" with the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA), said, "A party which promised job creation is now suggesting the elimination of the only legal guarantee for creation of jobs -- the MGNREGA."
Accusing the government of taking "every step" to suit the interests of the corporates, Karat and senior CPI(M) leader Hannan Mollah said that "while the stock exchanges are happy, the rural poor and MGNREGA workers are not."
Mollah said Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje has already proposed to "extinguish the legal guarantee under the Act and convert it into a scheme. She has clearly shown her anti-labour bias as she has changed labour laws to suit the interests of the business houses than the workers."
Both leaders also accused the UPA-II government of taking MGNREGA as "a hostage to fiscal considerations and severely cutting allocation and disbursal of funds under the law."
In her letter, Karat said it was "shocking" that in 2013-14, 60 per cent of the wages or "an estimated Rs 60,000 crore, were not paid within 15 days as legally stipulated.
On top of it, the compensation of delayed wage payment was also not paid."
"In social terms, this means huge suffering for workers and their families dependent for survival on a daily wage," she said.
Maintaining that the issue of unemployment allowance was also neglected, Karat said "not a single rupee" of about Rs 2,924 crore payable as allowance, was paid. Under the MGNREGA, if work on demand is not provided within 15 days, workers are entitled to this allowance.
Mollah said, "A continuous conspiracy has been unleashed against MGNREGA in particular, with corporates and landlords spreading falsehoods and saying such `subsidies` were unnecessary, why donate it to the poor. But MGNREGA is a hard -earned legal right of the workers."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla