Modi inaugurates International Kite festival
Ahmedabad: The 20th International Kite
Festival was today inaugurated by Gujarat Chief Minister
Narendra Modi at the Sabarmati riverfront here.
The four-day festival, will witness more than 109
international participants from 34 countries at the event.
About 120 participants from 20 states across India
will be attending the festival held in Ahmedabad, Porbandar
and Surat districts, where kite-flying and kite-making
competitions will be held.
Opening the festival, Modi said that Gujarat had
become a tourism hub due to such events, attracting visitors
from across the globe.
Gujarat`s economic growth and development are
increasingly being recognised in the country as well as abroad
and these festivals will boost tourist potential, he said.
Gujarat Governor, Dr Kamala, who was scheduled to
preside over the function, could not however, attend it as she
was out of station, Rajbhavan sources said.
Over 7,000 school children from municipal run schools
performed `Suryanamaskar` and yoga at the venue on the
A theme pavilion on `Swarnim Gujarat` and the crafts
of the state has also been organised with the festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics