`Modi needs to first demonstrate secular credentials in Guj`
New Delhi: Taking a dig at Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for his `India first` comment, Union Minister Kapil Sibal on Monday said the BJP leader should first "demonstrate" in his state that he was secular before talking about the rest of the country.
"Secularism is a question on mindset. We all want India first. That is our dream. Secularism is a way of life which Modi has no capacity to replace. Let him first demonstrate in Gujarat that he is secular before he talks of India," Sibal said when asked to comment on Modi`s remarks.
In an address to the Indian-American community through video conferencing, Modi had yesterday said, "My definition of secularism is simple: `India First`. Whatever you do, wherever you work, India should be the top priority for all its citizens."
On Modi`s comments that people will forgive "mistakes" of a government if it serves them well, Sibal said the wheels of law may be slow but they are unrelenting.
"The law will always catch up with those to seek peoples` forgiving. The wheels of law may be slow but they are unrelenting," the Union Communications Minister said.
Modi was denied US visa on the issue of human rights violation. Last week, the Wharton India Economic Forum cancelled Modi`s keynote address to the prestigious annual event because of opposition from a section of professors and students of the University of Pennsylvania.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'