Modi not a leader of stature: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Monday hit out at BJP for its focus on Narendra Modi, saying it betrays a "leadership vacuum" in the main Opposition party as the Gujarat Chief Minister is "not a leader of stature".
"Modi is speaking in a very foul language. He is not a leader of stature. He does not have a political culture. Modi is a state Chief Minister. BJP is totally blank on leadership ...There is leadership vacuum in BJP. They have no other leader so they are banking on him," Union Minister V Narayanasamy told reporters outside Parliament.
At a BJP meet yesterday, which saw the Opposition party virtually stopping short of naming Modi as its next Prime Ministerial candidate, the Gujarat Chief Minister had launched an all-out attack against Congress saying it was destroying this country like "termites" for which the only medicine was sweat of the BJP worker.
He had also accused the Gandhi family of putting "interests" of its members above national interests and referred to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh -- without naming him -- as a "night watchman" keeping the seat warm for the "the family".
Dismissing the claims of development in Modi-ruled Gujarat, he reminded Modi that "In 2002 A B Vajpayee, who was then the Prime Minister, had a desire to dismiss the Gujarat government (led by Modi)" over post-Godhra riots.
At the BJP meet, Modi had showered lavish praise on Vajpayee.
The minister also took at a jibe at BJP, saying the party should change its slogan of "Masjid se Mandir Tak (from mosque to temple)" to "Mandir se Masjid girane tak (from temple to demolishing mosque)".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list