‘Modi perceived as communal person by the world’
Patna: Union Minister and senior NCP leader Tariq Anwar Friday said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was perceived as a "communal person" by the world as the 2002 riots in his state took place under his direction.
"The world perceives Modi as a communal person in view of the fact that the 2002 riots in Gujarat took place under his patronage and it was because of this that several countries in Europe as well as the USA had refused to issue him visa," Anwar, who is the Union minister of State for Agriculture, told reporters here.
"Otherwise, what else could be the reason behind the Western countries not issuing visa to Modi who is a chief minister of a state?" Anwar asked.
On the Modi`s yesterday`s comment that he wanted to repay the debt of the country after doing so in Gujarat, Anwar took a potshot at him saying that it appeared that he was not satisfied with presiding over the Gujarat riots and wanted to `re-enact the carnage` in the entire country.
He regretted that BJP was "projecting" Modi as its prime ministerial candidate despite being aware of his communal image and denial of visa.
The BJP leadership should take into account former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s rap to Modi soon after the Gujarat riots that he should have followed `rajdharma` (duty towards the state) and prevented the carnage of minorities before seeking to project him as its face for the next general elections, Anwar added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!