‘Modi perceived as communal person by the world’
Patna: Union Minister and senior NCP leader Tariq Anwar Friday said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was perceived as a "communal person" by the world as the 2002 riots in his state took place under his direction.
"The world perceives Modi as a communal person in view of the fact that the 2002 riots in Gujarat took place under his patronage and it was because of this that several countries in Europe as well as the USA had refused to issue him visa," Anwar, who is the Union minister of State for Agriculture, told reporters here.
"Otherwise, what else could be the reason behind the Western countries not issuing visa to Modi who is a chief minister of a state?" Anwar asked.
On the Modi`s yesterday`s comment that he wanted to repay the debt of the country after doing so in Gujarat, Anwar took a potshot at him saying that it appeared that he was not satisfied with presiding over the Gujarat riots and wanted to `re-enact the carnage` in the entire country.
He regretted that BJP was "projecting" Modi as its prime ministerial candidate despite being aware of his communal image and denial of visa.
The BJP leadership should take into account former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s rap to Modi soon after the Gujarat riots that he should have followed `rajdharma` (duty towards the state) and prevented the carnage of minorities before seeking to project him as its face for the next general elections, Anwar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi