‘Modi perceived as communal person by the world’
Patna: Union Minister and senior NCP leader Tariq Anwar Friday said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi was perceived as a "communal person" by the world as the 2002 riots in his state took place under his direction.
"The world perceives Modi as a communal person in view of the fact that the 2002 riots in Gujarat took place under his patronage and it was because of this that several countries in Europe as well as the USA had refused to issue him visa," Anwar, who is the Union minister of State for Agriculture, told reporters here.
"Otherwise, what else could be the reason behind the Western countries not issuing visa to Modi who is a chief minister of a state?" Anwar asked.
On the Modi`s yesterday`s comment that he wanted to repay the debt of the country after doing so in Gujarat, Anwar took a potshot at him saying that it appeared that he was not satisfied with presiding over the Gujarat riots and wanted to `re-enact the carnage` in the entire country.
He regretted that BJP was "projecting" Modi as its prime ministerial candidate despite being aware of his communal image and denial of visa.
The BJP leadership should take into account former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee`s rap to Modi soon after the Gujarat riots that he should have followed `rajdharma` (duty towards the state) and prevented the carnage of minorities before seeking to project him as its face for the next general elections, Anwar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what