Modi questions India’s high defence imports
Ahmedabad: On the 15th anniversary of 1998 Pokhran nuclear tests, Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi asked on his blog on Saturday why India continues to spend thousands of crores of rupees on defence imports.
"Today, on the 15th anniversary of the Pokhran tests, there is a crucial question that we have to answer- how do we become self-sufficient in defence manufacturing?....This is not only about military power but also about being self- reliant for our own defence equipment," he wrote.
"After around 65 years of Independence, why must we still spend thousands of crore of rupees to procure defence equipment from overseas?"
Lauding former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Modi said that Pokhran tests were possible because of "stellar work of our scientists and the strong leadership India was blessed with at that point of time".
"This is a challenge for our youth, talent pool, scientists -- how we can combine our strengths and make India sufficient in defence-related manufacturing!" Modi said.
"We should think of a larger debate, encourage free flowing of ideas to think of how India can develop human resources in defence manufacturing.
"Can we create an ecosystem to strengthen our manufacturing? Going a step ahead, we should even think of how we can export defence equipment," Modi wrote.
"In Gujarat we have made a small effort in this regard. In our engineering colleges we are working towards starting a subject related to defence manufacturing," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon