Modi spreading lies about Gujarat`s development: Congress
New Delhi: Keeping up its offensive against BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, Congress on Friday accused him of "spreading lies" about Gujarat`s development and cited a RBI report to puncture his claim of the state being one of the most developed states.
Rejecting Modi`s development model, Congress General Secretary Shakeel Ahmed said an RBI report had put the state at 12th position among 28 states in overall development.
"Modi says Gujarat tops the country in development. There is no problem if Gujarat progresses. It is the state of Mahatma Gandhi and Sardar Patel. But how can one overlook the fact that a report of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) says the opposite. Gujarat fares badly in all spheres of development. It stands at 12th position among 28 states in overall development," he said.
Ahmed was speaking at a gathering of Youth Congress at Talkotara stadium here.
"Modi has applied the same formula as once told by one of the propaganda chief of Hitler to tell a lie so many times that it becomes a truth. The same is being applied by Modi and his party BJP," said Ahmed.
"BJP is spreading lies about development. You will not be happy to hear that Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh, where BJP is in power, were put at 25th and 26th position by the RBI. This is the story of development in BJP-ruled states," said Ahmed.
Questioning Aam Aadmi Party leader Arvind Kejriwal`s campaign against graft, he said he has forgotten that he was also allegedly involved in irregularities.
"Kejriwal was in a government job before joining politics. He was required to pay Rs 9.27 lakh to the government. But he did not want to give the money," said Ahmed claiming that BJP lost elections in Himachal Pradesh and Karnataka due to alleged corruption.
Addressing the gathering, Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, exhorted Youth Congress workers to put in all their efforts so that Congress win the coming Delhi assembly election.
"Our ultimate aim is to see Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi become Prime Minister of India," she said.
Delhi Pradesh Congress Committee President J P Agarwal, Youth Congress President Rajeev Satav and MP Sandeep Dikshit were among those present at the function.
"Your enthusiasm gives us the strength. Congress is working towards building the future of youth and you are our best soldiers. We all should work towards our aim to see Rahul Gandhi become country`s Prime Minister," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her