Modi targets Sonia on price rise, says will write in Italian
Ahmedabad: Gujarat chief minister Narendra
Modi on Thursday had a dig at UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi on price
rise saying he would now write a letter in Italian to draw
Centre`s attention towards the issue.
"I have written number of letters to Central Government
on the issue of price rise. I have written letters in the
language they can understand urging them to take steps to do
something about the rising prices of food items," Modi said.
"But, I think that they have no empathy for the poor
people and it seems that they are not willing to take steps to
control rising prices," he said, adding, "Now, I need to write
a letter in Italian."
Modi was speaking at a Garib Kalyan Mela in Patan
"They (Centre) had organised a meeting on the issue of
price rise. But have now postponed it saying that they
have some other work. I don`t understand what work is more
important than addressing the issue of price rise," Modi
"Keeping poor people hungry in this manner will lead to
nemesis of the Central government," Modi said.
Garib Kalyan Mela is brainchild of Modi to provide direct
benefit of schemes meant for poor without involving middlemen.
"Former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi had said that if
Central government release one rupee for poor, only 10 paise
reaches them. By organising such melas I have tried to solve
this problem," Modi said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak