Modi to lead `unity` run for Sardar`s Patel`s statue
New Delhi: BJP`s PM candidate Narendra Modi, party chief Rajnath Singh and L K Advani, chief ministers and its other stalwarts will lead the `run for unity` in different cities on Sunday to mobilise support for building Sardar Patel`s biggest statue in Gujarat.
BJP vice-president Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said BJP leaders and workers will be fully involved in the two-kilometre run, which has been planned at over 565 places.
Advani will participate in the run in Ahmedabad, Modi in Vadodra, Singh and Arun Jaitley in Delhi and Sushma Swaraj in Bhopal.
The run will kickstart the party`s campaign to collect iron and soil from around 2.38 lakh panchayats and it would be used in building what Modi has claimed will be the world`s tallest statue at 182 meters.
Various cultural and regional bodies would take part in the run, Naqvi said.
He said the state government has completed all the formalities which are required for building the statue, when asked if environmental clearances from the Centre have been accorded for the project.
He said the project was an effort to give Patel due honour as he was the first home minister and is credited with uniting 565 independent states with India.
Congress governments, he alleged, had done everything to erase his contributions from the history books and BJP wanted to bring Patel back into public limelight as he was the true nation-builder.
BJP and especially Modi have been accused by Congress of trying to appropriate Patel`s legacy as the party lacked any truly great leader linked with the freedom movement.
Modi had even regretted that Jawaharlal Nehru and not Patel had become the country`s first prime minister, claiming that India`s destiny would have been different had Patel been the prime minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter