Modi wants JPC to probe corruption in MGNREGA
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra
Modi on Saturday demanded setting up of a Joint Parliamentary
Committee to probe allegations of corruption in implementation
of Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee scheme.
"I raised the issue before the Prime Minister to set up a
JPC to probe corruption in MGNREGA across the states. This
should be given a serious thought," he told reporters after
attending a meeting of the National Development Council here.
Modi said as per a Planning Commission document, the
UPA`s flagship scheme has become a "den of corruption".
"New techniques of corruption are being used," he said
adding that the Prime Minister heads the Planning Commission
and he should take this suggestion seriously.
Since the name of Mahatma Gandhi was associated with the
scheme now, the issue of corruption becomes more relevant, he
said. The Gujarat Chief Minister also suggested setting up of
an expert committee to work out modalities of the "next
He said people who work on MGNREGA schemes should be
given more rights for their empowerment.
"If somebody digs a pond or well, he should be given the
right to sell the fish and should be able to collect charges
if its water is used by others," he added.
To a question on the Prime Minister`s assurance to bring
down prices, he said, "such statements full of hope are being
given for the past two years but no success has been achieved.
The track record (of the UPA government) has put a question
mark on the statement."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in