Modi welcomes Rajnath Singh as BJP president
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Wednesday welcomed the elevation of Rajnath Singh as BJP president, saying he has always been associated with farmers which would benefit the party.
"I called up Shri Rajnath Singh ji and congratulated him. He brings with him vast experience of both organisation and administration," Modi tweeted on social networking site Twitter ahead of formal announcement of Rajnath being elected BJP president.
"Rajnath Singhji served as agriculture minister in Atalji`s govt. He has always been associated with the farmers. BJP will gain from this," he said in a second tweet.
Outgoing president Nitin Gadkari, facing allegations of dubious funding of his company, was last night forced out of the race for BJP president`s post and Rajnath Singh emerged the consensus choice for the office.
Gadkari had issued a statement opting out of the election, saying he did not want that allegations against him should in any way adversely affect the interests of BJP.
62-year-old Rajnath, who had preceded Gadkari as BJP president till 2009, emerged the new choice of the party at a hurriedly-called meeting of top leaders including Sushma Swaraj, Arun Jaitley, M Venkaiah Naidu and RSS representative Ram Lal last night.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Bihar CM calls on PM Narendra Modi, apprise him on flood situation in Bihar
- 7th Pay Commission: BSNL retirees seek salary benefits
- Kasi Bennett: Everything you wanted to know about Usain Bolt's girlfriend
- Three held in France in August for planning attacks: Minister
- Some officers creating hurdles in govt schemes: Akhilesh Yadav