Modi writes to states to increase tax on tobacco products
Patna: Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi on Friday wrote to finance minister of all states to take a cue from Bihar and increase tax on tobacco products which has killed lakhs of people across the country.
Modi, who is the also finance minister of Bihar, had presented the budget for the state for 2013-14 yesterday in which he proposed substantial increase in prices of cigarettes and tobacco products.
Modi e said nearly 10 lakh people died due to consumption of tobacco products in the country every year.
The Bihar Deputy CM, who is also chairman of the empowered committee of finance ministers on Goods and Services Tax and who had attended a global convention against tobacco in the US late last year, said according to an estimate of `Global Adult Tobacco Survey India`, nearly 28 crore people consumed tobacco products in different forms.
India has the maximum people suffering from mouth cancer in the world with 75,000-80,000 new cases every year.
He urged his counterparts in other states to control the menace of the tobacco products by making it dearer by increasing tax on them.
Modi said that some state governments like Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan had increased VAT on tobacco products by 50 per cent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read