`Modified land bill draft to be retrospective`
New Delhi: Some modifications have been made to the draft land acquisition bill by tightening the definition of public purpose and introducing a new clause for its retrospective implementation, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said on Friday.
He said the draft legislation for land acquisition and rehabilitation and resettlement of the affected has been sent with modifications for inter-ministerial consultations, and hoped it would be introduced in the ongoing monsoon session of Parliament.
"We have circulated a revised draft bill for inter-ministerial consultations on August 12. We are hoping that the bill will be introduced in this session," Ramesh said.
The draft bill was placed in public domain for consultations last month.
Ramesh said several suggestions have been received for tightening the definition of public purpose to remove scope of its misuse.
He said, "Land for railways, highways, ports, power and irrigation purposes for use by government or public sector companies" has been included in the definition of public purpose”.
The new definition also specifies conditions under which consent of at least 80 percent of project affected people would be obtained through a prior process.
Ramesh said the bill will apply to all cases of land acquisition where before the date of commencement of the act, "the award has not been made under the Land Acquisition Act, 1894, or, possession of land has not been taken regardless of whether award has been made or not".
He said special benefits under rehabilitation and resettlement available to the Scheduled Tribes have been extended to the Scheduled Castes.
A modification has also been made in rehabilitation and resettlement provisions. These provisions now become applicable if the land purchased is 100 acres in rural areas and 50 acres in urban areas. The draft bill said these would be applicable if land acquired exceeds 100 acres.
Ramesh said that the sum to be paid by the land acquirer if he is not able to provide employment has been increased from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 5 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'