Modi`s remarks could demotivate armed forces: Cong
New Delhi: Stung by his statements on beheading of Indian soldiers, Congress on Sunday said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s remarks were "malicious" and could demotivate the armed forces which have been pursuing relief operations in flood-hit Uttarakhand.
"People of this country are keenly watching how personal ambitions of a politician in Narendra Modi can make him use such words which would demotivate our armed forces and mar relief operations," party general secretary Ajay Maken said shortly after the BJP election campaign chief virtually sounded the poll bugle at a rally in Pathankot.
While addressing the rally earlier in the day, Modi had sought the Prime Minister`s explanation as to why his government was treating the then Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf to a lavish lunch in Jaipur weeks after Indian soldiers were beheaded by Pakistanis near the Line of Control.
Maken, who is head of the newly constituted Communication Department of the AICC, said Modi`s remarks were "unfortunate and malicious to say the least" in such difficult times of natural calamities in neighbouring states.
"Many of his utterances, particularly references to national security should have been avoided at a juncture when our Army is saving lives in Uttarakhand. This will demotivate our armed forces, which at this moment are single mindedly pursuing relief operations in Uttarakhand", he said.
At the outset, Maken thanked defence and paramilitary forces for displaying extraordinary discipline and courage and valour in Uttarakhand where, he said, they were able to save the lives of tens of thousands of stranded pilgrims and local population.
He said it was surprising to see the Gujarat Chief Minister, as claimed by a leading newspaper, to have "played the role of Rambo" and saving 15,000 lives in a day.
"This is not a time for politicising a disaster and least for a political credit taking exercise."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...