Modi`s remarks could demotivate armed forces: Cong
New Delhi: Stung by his statements on beheading of Indian soldiers, Congress on Sunday said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s remarks were "malicious" and could demotivate the armed forces which have been pursuing relief operations in flood-hit Uttarakhand.
"People of this country are keenly watching how personal ambitions of a politician in Narendra Modi can make him use such words which would demotivate our armed forces and mar relief operations," party general secretary Ajay Maken said shortly after the BJP election campaign chief virtually sounded the poll bugle at a rally in Pathankot.
While addressing the rally earlier in the day, Modi had sought the Prime Minister`s explanation as to why his government was treating the then Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf to a lavish lunch in Jaipur weeks after Indian soldiers were beheaded by Pakistanis near the Line of Control.
Maken, who is head of the newly constituted Communication Department of the AICC, said Modi`s remarks were "unfortunate and malicious to say the least" in such difficult times of natural calamities in neighbouring states.
"Many of his utterances, particularly references to national security should have been avoided at a juncture when our Army is saving lives in Uttarakhand. This will demotivate our armed forces, which at this moment are single mindedly pursuing relief operations in Uttarakhand", he said.
At the outset, Maken thanked defence and paramilitary forces for displaying extraordinary discipline and courage and valour in Uttarakhand where, he said, they were able to save the lives of tens of thousands of stranded pilgrims and local population.
He said it was surprising to see the Gujarat Chief Minister, as claimed by a leading newspaper, to have "played the role of Rambo" and saving 15,000 lives in a day.
"This is not a time for politicising a disaster and least for a political credit taking exercise."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'