Modi`s remarks could demotivate armed forces: Cong
New Delhi: Stung by his statements on beheading of Indian soldiers, Congress on Sunday said Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s remarks were "malicious" and could demotivate the armed forces which have been pursuing relief operations in flood-hit Uttarakhand.
"People of this country are keenly watching how personal ambitions of a politician in Narendra Modi can make him use such words which would demotivate our armed forces and mar relief operations," party general secretary Ajay Maken said shortly after the BJP election campaign chief virtually sounded the poll bugle at a rally in Pathankot.
While addressing the rally earlier in the day, Modi had sought the Prime Minister`s explanation as to why his government was treating the then Pakistani Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf to a lavish lunch in Jaipur weeks after Indian soldiers were beheaded by Pakistanis near the Line of Control.
Maken, who is head of the newly constituted Communication Department of the AICC, said Modi`s remarks were "unfortunate and malicious to say the least" in such difficult times of natural calamities in neighbouring states.
"Many of his utterances, particularly references to national security should have been avoided at a juncture when our Army is saving lives in Uttarakhand. This will demotivate our armed forces, which at this moment are single mindedly pursuing relief operations in Uttarakhand", he said.
At the outset, Maken thanked defence and paramilitary forces for displaying extraordinary discipline and courage and valour in Uttarakhand where, he said, they were able to save the lives of tens of thousands of stranded pilgrims and local population.
He said it was surprising to see the Gujarat Chief Minister, as claimed by a leading newspaper, to have "played the role of Rambo" and saving 15,000 lives in a day.
"This is not a time for politicising a disaster and least for a political credit taking exercise."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video