Modi`s role in Lok Sabha polls to be focus of Goa
New Delhi: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi`s role in the next Lok Sabha Elections is expected to be the dominant theme of the BJP national executive in Goa this weekend, amid a strong demand from some sections of the party for declaring him the campaign committee head.
Ahead of the two-day conclave, central office-bearers of the party will meet to discuss the agenda for the national executive meet.
Sources said some of the office-bearers are likely to press for declaring Modi as the campaign committee head during the conclave.
But, a consensus on the issue is eluding the party top brass. As a result, the proposal may not see the light of day at the national executive meet.
"There is expectation among the cadre that BJP president Rajnath Singh will give out a clear message to the party at the Goa conclave. He has been working on it and is in consultation with BJP top brass and members of Parliamentary Board prior to the conclave," BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said when asked about the issue.
Asked if decks have been cleared for Modi to be announced as the campaign committee chief, Rudy said nothing has been firmed up yet. He refused to comment further on it.
However, sources said Singh is still in consultation with the top leadership on the issue.
There are apprehensions that some die-hard Modi supporters who are part of the BJP National Executive may publicly demand during the conclave that the Gujarat Chief Minister be made the head of the campaign committee.
Senior BJP leader Yashwant Sinha has virtually ruled out the possibility of Modi`s name being announced at the meet.
Asked if leadership issue is the focus of Goa conclave, Sinha told a news channel, "The National Executive of the BJP is too large as a body to discuss leadership issues...BJP has already made it very clear that these issues will be decided in the Parliamentary Board."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets