MoEF`s deputy director granted bail in corruption case
New Delhi: An environment ministry official, arrested by the CBI along with two others for allegedly taking a bribe of Rs 7 lakh for arranging environmental clearance for a mining firm in Odisha, has been granted bail by a Delhi court which said possibility of his absconding is remote.
The court allowed the bail plea of Neeraj Khatri, a Deputy Director in the Ministry of Environment and Forests who was arrested in January along with alleged middleman Rai Sri Chinmaya Srichandan and his father Rai Sri Achyutananda Srichandan.
"The accused Neeraj Khatri is a government employee and possibility of his absconding is remote. The two co-accused persons have already been granted bail vide order dated March 5, 2013.
"The investigation of the case shall take some more time," special CBI judge V K Gupta said and granted bail to Khatri on a personal bond of Rs 2 lakh with two sureties of the like amount.
During the arguments on the bail plea, Khatri said he was in custody since his arrest in January and no further material investigation has to be conducted and probe into the case and trial would take a long time.
The CBI has opposed his bail plea saying that Khatri was arrested while accepting a bribe of Rs 7 lakh for getting the environmental clearance and the probe is at an advance stage and vital documents are yet to be obtained from Odisha.
In its FIR, the CBI had alleged that private firm S S Environics (India) Pvt Ltd was "liasioning" with the Ministry of Environment and Forests on behalf of Odisha-based Chariot Steel and Power (Pvt) Ltd for obtaining environmental clearance for its Raiboga Mines at Birmitrapur in Sundargarh, Odisha.
The three accused had entered into a conspiracy and Khatri had agreed to accept Rs 7 lakh as bribe for expediting environment clearance, CBI had alleged, adding that Chinmaya Srichandan had delivered Rs 7 lakh to Khatri and both were apprehended and the money was recovered from the official.
CBI had also alleged that cash of over Rs one crore and various incriminating documents were recovered from Khatri`s residential premises at Rohtak and Gurgaon and his office.
Khatri and Chinmaya Srichandan were arrested on January 17 by CBI while Achyutananda Sri Chandan was arrested later on.
All the accused have been booked under various sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act and the IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in