Mohan Bhagwat`s remarks about women "shallow": Sharad Yadav
New Delhi: JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav on Monday described as "shallow" remarks of RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat about women, saying they only showed the thinking of the people making them.
But, at the same time, he made it clear that he was yet to go through Bhagwat`s remarks "properly" and would react to it after going through the written statement.
"Several statements are being made these days...The statements show their thinking and views. All these are shallow statements," Yadav told reporters here.
He was asked to comment on the remarks of Bhagwat in Indore on Saturday that a woman is bound by contract to husband to look after him.
Yadav, who is the NDA convenor, hastened to add that Sangh spokesman Ram Madhav had said that the projection of Bhagwat`s views on the marriage system in the Indian context was "totally false".
"I have not gone through his statement properly. If you show me his written statement, I will definitely react to it," he said.
In reply to a question, he rejected suggestions that yesterday he had supported the view that sexual urge was natural.
"I had said that physical needs were also there like we need water and air. It was never said in the context of the (Delhi) gang-rape incident. It was a barbaric act. How can I say such a thing?" he said.
Yadav said he was participating in a discussion and his views should be seen in totality.
The JD(U) said he would shortly appear before the Justice J S Verma committee set to suggest changes in laws relating to crime against women.
"I would present my views in which the stress would be that the disparity with regard to women in the society is due to the caste system," he said.
He also said, "While we debate effective laws to deal with crime against women, the issue of corruption and caste system should not be ignored. We should debate all the issues which ail our society."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?