Moily asks Universities to create conducive environment
Bangalore: Union Law Minister M Veerappa Moily on Tuesday said universities must create an environment
conducive for the healthy growth of students.
Addressing the 46th annual convocation of Bangalore
University, he said, "Universities must create a conducive
environment so that talents can blossom and students become
"Any attempt to divert the minds of our students to
narrower goals will convert our younger population into a
pattern of bonsai," he said.
Moily told the students that it should be their aim to
become intellectually competent and technically skilled.
"You could be the game changers. Unleash your creativity.
The future offers huge opportunity, go grab it. But be
equipped to grab it or you will burn yourself," he said.
"Our country has caged knowledge for centuries. We should
not shy away from expansion when the universities in the West,
China have massive student strength. Expansion, inclusion will
ultimately result in massive output with quality," he added.
The minister said some institutions like IITs IIMs had
expanded only one per cent for the last 45 years. But with the
implementation of the recommendation of the Oversight
Committee of Government of India, they have now been expanded
to the extent of 54 per cent.
Moily said, "India should take advantage of its
demographic dividend like the US did two centuries ago and
transform itself into a country of youth and provide
leadership to the world."
The government was targeting a three times increase in
enrolment in higher education from nearly 14 million to 40
million by 2020, he said.
Earlier, Nisar Ahmed, B K Srinivasa Varma and noted
research scholar Chidananda Murthy whose name had earlier been
rejected by the Governor H R Bhardwaj for his alleged remarks
on conversion, but later cleared, were honoured with honorary
degrees at the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'