Moily meets PC on annulment of Antrix-Devas deal
New Delhi: A day after the government
decided to scrap the Antrix-Devas S-Band spectrum allocation
deal, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily on Friday met Home Minister P
Chidambaram discussing legal ramifications of the move against
the backdrop of the private company threatening to sue the
Law Minister M Veerappa Moily is understood to have met
Home Minister P Chidambaram this evening to discuss the
possible legal ramifications of the annulment.
Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium was also present
in the meeting, sources said.
The three are learnt to have discussed the possibility
of Devas approaching an international court of arbitration
abroad and the ways to deal with the possible legal battle.
Devas Multimedia had threatened to move court if the
government took any unilateral decision to terminate the deal.
"Even if they go to court, they are not likely to
succeed," Moily had said yesterday when asked whether the
government was ready to face the legal challenges put up by
The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), at a meeting
chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh yesterday, had
decided to annul the contract Antrix -- the commercial arm of
ISRO -- had entered into with private company Devas Multimedia
under which it was to lease out 90 per cent transponders on
two of ISRO`s satellites GSAT-6 and GSAT-6A.
Under the agreement signed in January 2005, Devas was to
lease transponder capacity from the two satellites at a cost
of USD 300 million (approximately Rs 1350 crore) spread over
Some estimates said the deal was heavily undervalued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?