Moily restructures panel looking into grid failure
New Delhi: Within days of assuming charge, Power Minister Veerappa Moily has restructured the expert panel appointed by his predecessor Sushilkumar Shinde to look into the massive failure of power transmission grids.
The members of the panel headed by Central Electricity Authority (CEA) chairman A S Bakshi has been expanded to seven people, including outside experts, sources said.
The panel, which originally had three members, was set up by Shinde in the wake of Northern Grid failure on July 30 that impacted over 30 crore people.
Now, four more members including Professor S C Srivastava from IIT Kanpur, Maharashtra Electricity Regulatory Commission member A Velayutham and CEA member K K Agrawal are part of the panel, sources said.
The two others members of the originally-constituted committee -- Power Grid Corp chairman and managing director R N Nayak and Power System Operation Corp Chief Executive Officer S K Soonee -- would continue to be part of the panel.
Bakshi would continue to be chairman of the committee, that is expected to submit its report in a fortnight.
Shinde, who had the longest stint as the country`s Power Minister, was made the Home Minister while Moily was given the additional charge of Power. The shifting happened on July 31 -- when failure of Northern, Eastern and North Eastern grids impacted more than 60 crore people.
The collapse happened less than 24 hours after the Northern Grid tripped and was later restored.
Sources said the decision to reconstitute the expert panel came amid criticism from various quarters that the initial committee`s report might not have an unbiased perspective.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in