Moily takes metro on Bus Day, ministry staff save 600 litres fuel
New Delhi: Petroleum Minister M Veerappa Moily on Wednesday took the metro to work as part of his ministry`s drive to promote fuel conservation and reduce India`s massive oil import bill.
On his pre-announced Bus Day every Wednesday, Moily walked from his residence at Tughlaq Lane to the Race Course Metro Station, from where he took the train to Central Secretariat station, which exits almost at the doorsteps of the Oil Ministry housed in Shastri Bhawan.
"We spent almost USD 145 billion on importing oil last fiscal. While we are endeavouring to increase domestic production, simultaneously we should conserve fuel to reduce this import bill, which is the single-biggest reason for some of the current economic woes like current account deficit," Moily told media persons accompanying him.
"Every Wednesday, I will use public transport. I have asked my official car to be lodged in the garage."
"I also ask my public sector companies to use public transport at least once a week," Moily told media persons just before boarding the metro around 9.45 am.
Moily said he and all officials in his ministry and its public sector units (PSUs) nationwide will travel by public transport every Wednesday.
While two joint secretaries rode bicycles to office, the rest of the 200-odd staff in the ministry used public transport. PSU employees either used car pools or took public transport to office.
"The ministry staff alone would have saved some 600 litres of petrol or diesel today. I am taking the metro to office now and will use the same to go back for lunch and return. I will take the metro again back home," Moily said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla