Momentum in support of Modi can attract any ally: Jaitley
New Delhi: Latching on to opinion polls projecting it much ahead of its rivals, BJP on Monday pitched itself as the nucleus of the next ruling alliance, saying the momentum in support for Narendra Modi could attract any ally.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said BJP`s eventual tally will be higher than the forecast of pollsters and suggested that NDA led by it could even reach the majoirty figure on its own.
"These large crowds at Modi rallies are bringing a clear message ? the front-runner`s score eventually will even be higher than what the pollsters are capturing. If Modi`s rating are over 50 percent, surely every state is impacted by it. I won`t be surprised if the last mile eventually takes care of itself," he said in a statement.
Noting that there are larger state groups which have traditionally pursued non-Congress politics in states, he said the choice of aligning with Congress at the Centre either by giving or taking support is not a long-term option for them.
"These groups have to make a clear choice. They either align in Delhi with NDA or follow Congress option," he said.
He said BJP-led alliance was seemingly the only viable claimant for power. If Congress is reduced to a double-digit figure, he said quoting the polls, it would be a clear loser. "It cannot be the nucleus of an alliance."
The Third Front and the Federal front have too many claimants, he said, adding there is hardly a large single claimant with presence in more than one state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people