Money-pooling scam: SFIO to start probe with 57 companies
New Delhi: The SFIO probe ordered by the government into illegal money-pooling activities of various entities would initially focus on 57 companies, most of which are in West Bengal, Odisha, Bihar and Assam.
The Special Task Force under the Serious Fraud Investigation Office (SFIO) would begin its probe with a total of 57 companies, but the ambit could be expanded as the investigation process moves ahead, sources said.
Most of these companies are operating in eastern states, including West Bengal, Odisha, Bihar and Assam, although the Task Force could have mandate for a country-wide probe, they added.
Sources also said most of these companies are not actually registered as chit funds, and their activities are also more in the nature of Multi-Level Marketing, collective investments or other money-circulation schemes which are broadly known as `ponzi` schemes.
SFIO might need to rope in experts from outside, as the probe could eventually extend to a large number of companies.
The Corporate Affairs Ministry ordered the SFIO probe yesterday amid a raging controversy over alleged duping of lakhs of investors by Kolkata-based Saradha group through their money-pooling activities.
Saradha Realty India, one of the Sudipta Sen-led group`s various entities, has already been ordered by markets regulator Sebi to wind up its collective investment schemes and refund investors` money. Sebi is already probing some more Saradha group entities and other companies from West Bengal and various North-Eastern states.
Besides, Bihar`s Finance Minister Sushil Kumar Modi also met Sebi Chairman UK Sinha this week and requested him to take strict action against entities illegally running non-banking financial operations in Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi