Monsoon arrives in North India
New Delhi: Monsoon Sunday advanced to parts
of North India bringing heavy rains which led to mercury
hovering below normal, giving respite to people from hot and
After a delay of over a fortnight, the south-west monsoon
descended over parts of Rajasthan, Haryana and Chandigarh
while the seasonal phenomenon is expected to hit the national
capital in the next couple of days.
Temperature remained within normal levels as people
finally heaved a sigh of relief after experiencing scorching
heat this season with temperature clocking the high forties on
Gurgaon in Haryana recorded 160 mm rainfall while Nangal
Dam and its catchment areas received 47 mm of rains since last
evening. The downpour resulted in considerable drop in mercury
but the high humidity posed problems for the citizens.
Monsoon rains lashed Udaipur, Kota, Jhalawar and
Bharatpur in Rajasthan since last night. However, it is yet to
progress to north-west regions of Jodhpur, Barmer, Jaislamer,
Bikaner, Churu and Sikar where the hot conditions prevailed.
National capital Delhi too experienced rains which
brought down the temperature considerably. However, the MeT
Department termed them as `pre-monsoon showers` and said the
monsoon will hit the city in the next couple of days.
Palam recorded an overnight rainfall of 29.9 mm, followed
by Ayanagar 21.5 mm, Lodhi road 16.4 mm, Safdarjung 15.9 mm
and Ridge area 1.8 mm.
The night temperature in the city settled at comfortable
25.5 C against 30.5 degrees yesterday.
Heavy rains also lashed mid and lower areas of Himachal
Pradesh that led to fall in temperature. However the upper
areas were comparatively warmer.
Picturesque Shimla recorded 12 mm of rains as the maximum
plunged to 19 degrees. The state capital, however, remained
engulfed in thick fog that considerably reduced visibility,
hampering vehicular flow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today