Monsoon deficiency to narrow down: IMD
New Delhi: Monsoon deficiency is expected to narrow down in the coming days with rains likely to improve in the eastern, central and Indo-Gangetic parts of the country, the Indian Meteorological Department said on Thursday.
"As of now, deficiency is 22 per cent. The deficiency will fill up in the coming days, as monsoon is likely to improve in the eastern, central and Indo-Gangetic plains," IMD Director General L S Rathore told reporters here, after a meeting with the Food Minister K V Thomas.
Although the monsoon is not active, it is not sluggish either he said, adding that the eastern coast, central India and Northeast are getting fairly good rains. Even Maharashtra and parts of peninsula are having rain.
"The only concern is north west India and interior peninsula," Rathore said.
On the likely impact of deficient rains on kharif crops, Rathore said, "There is concern about coarse cereals and situation of rest crops is fine."
India had produced a record 252.56 million tonnes of foodgrains in 2011-12 crop year (July-June) on good monsoon last year.
Monsoon rains are crucial for the agriculture sector, which contributes about 15 per cent to the country`s GDP, as only 40 per cent of the total cultivable area is under irrigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video