Monsoon forecast accurate for 12 of last 25 years:
New Delhi: The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted monsoon accurately for 12 of the last 25 years, Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences S Jaipal Reddy said on Monday.
"The IMD prediction has not been repeatedly wrong in its prediction of the monsoon. During the last 25 years (1988-2012), monsoon forecast as a whole were found to be accurate in 12 years and partially correct in another five years," Reddy told the Rajya Sabha.
He said the National Monsoon Mission (NMM) has been launched to improve monsoon forecast.
"Through NMM, efforts are being made to set up a state-of-the-art dynamical prediction system for improved prediction of monsoon rainfall," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees