Monsoon forecast accurate for 12 of last 25 years:
New Delhi: The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted monsoon accurately for 12 of the last 25 years, Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences S Jaipal Reddy said on Monday.
"The IMD prediction has not been repeatedly wrong in its prediction of the monsoon. During the last 25 years (1988-2012), monsoon forecast as a whole were found to be accurate in 12 years and partially correct in another five years," Reddy told the Rajya Sabha.
He said the National Monsoon Mission (NMM) has been launched to improve monsoon forecast.
"Through NMM, efforts are being made to set up a state-of-the-art dynamical prediction system for improved prediction of monsoon rainfall," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Obama vows support for Germany after Munich shooting
- Islamic State supporters hail deadly Munich shooting on social media
- 1st Test, Day 2 Report: Kohli double ton, Ashwin century put India in charge against West Indies
- Silicon Valley leads avalanche of quarterly reports
- UN backs plan to rid Libya of chemical weapons