Monsoon forecast accurate for 12 of last 25 years:
New Delhi: The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted monsoon accurately for 12 of the last 25 years, Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences S Jaipal Reddy said on Monday.
"The IMD prediction has not been repeatedly wrong in its prediction of the monsoon. During the last 25 years (1988-2012), monsoon forecast as a whole were found to be accurate in 12 years and partially correct in another five years," Reddy told the Rajya Sabha.
He said the National Monsoon Mission (NMM) has been launched to improve monsoon forecast.
"Through NMM, efforts are being made to set up a state-of-the-art dynamical prediction system for improved prediction of monsoon rainfall," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- This is how billionaire Richard Branson looks after cheating death in a violent high-speed bike crash
- West Bengal hospital fire: Three killed, 50 children injured; Rs 2 lakh ex-gratia announced
- Astronomers find a 'dark' Milky Way
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 654—Abhi visits Pragya's place and meets her family!
- Fire kills at least 16 in Moscow printing works