Monsoon forecast accurate for 12 of last 25 years:
New Delhi: The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted monsoon accurately for 12 of the last 25 years, Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences S Jaipal Reddy said on Monday.
"The IMD prediction has not been repeatedly wrong in its prediction of the monsoon. During the last 25 years (1988-2012), monsoon forecast as a whole were found to be accurate in 12 years and partially correct in another five years," Reddy told the Rajya Sabha.
He said the National Monsoon Mission (NMM) has been launched to improve monsoon forecast.
"Through NMM, efforts are being made to set up a state-of-the-art dynamical prediction system for improved prediction of monsoon rainfall," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations