Monsoon forecast accurate for 12 of last 25 years:
New Delhi: The India Meteorological Department (IMD) has predicted monsoon accurately for 12 of the last 25 years, Minister of Science and Technology and Earth Sciences S Jaipal Reddy said on Monday.
"The IMD prediction has not been repeatedly wrong in its prediction of the monsoon. During the last 25 years (1988-2012), monsoon forecast as a whole were found to be accurate in 12 years and partially correct in another five years," Reddy told the Rajya Sabha.
He said the National Monsoon Mission (NMM) has been launched to improve monsoon forecast.
"Through NMM, efforts are being made to set up a state-of-the-art dynamical prediction system for improved prediction of monsoon rainfall," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?