`Monsoon gains strength, heavy rains this week`
New Delhi: In what might come as a big respite for the people of India, who have been trying hard to beat the scorching heat, Southwest monsoon has further advanced into some more parts of Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, interior Karnataka, most parts of Tamil Nadu, remaining parts of south Bay of Bengal and some more parts of Central & North Bay of Bengal,
Meanwhile, Delhiites on Monday woke up to a pleasant weather with rains lashing many parts of the city today morning. The weather office has forecast dust and thunderstorm in some parts of the city during the day.
According to the IMD, the capital received 2.1 mm of rainfall till 8.30 am.
"The skies will remain cloudy. Some parts of the city may witness dust storms and there is a possibility of thundershowers also as the day progresses. The maximum temperature is expected to hover around the 42 degrees Celsius mark," an IMD official said.
The southwest monsoon hit Odisha yesterday after a week`s delay, bringing rains to many parts of the state, an official of the local meteorological centre here said.
The financial capital of India – Mumbai also received its first monsoon showers of the season yesterday. The IMD on Sunday warned of the possibility of heavy rains lashing the city in the next 48 hours.
India Meteorological Department (IMD has said that the weekly rainfall for the country as a whole was 50 percent below the Long Period Average (LPA). The rainfall activity was below normal over all the regions.
Forecast for June 16-22
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery