Monsoon improving; normal rainfall likely in August: IMD
New Delhi: In a forecast that would bring cheer to vast swathes of the country, weather officials have said that the momentum picked up by Southwest Monsoon in July is likely to continue in August with normal rainfall expected next month.
While July is likely to receive rainfall of 93 per cent of the Long Range Forecast (LPA), "rainfall of 96 per cent of the LPA" is expected in August," said Shailesh Nayak, Secretary in the Ministry of Earth Science (MoES).
He, however, added that they would "also have to see the rainfall in the next few days of the month". The MeT department has already said that India would experience a deficit monsoon this year.
According to the Indian Meteorological Department, 96-104 per cent of the LPA means normal rainfall whereas 90-96 makes for below normal monsoon showers.
Monsoon rainfall was deficient in June, but has picked up in July.
"The rainfall looks good for the next three weeks till August 15. There is formation of a depression which will bring good rainfall," Nayak said.
He added that rainfall may continue to be deficient in north-west India. The MeT department had yesterday said that the parts of Kutch and Saurashtra which come fall in north- west India have seen vigorous monsoon in the last few days.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Islamic State 'poster girl' beaten to death by jihadists