Monsoon magic in half of India, in Delhi by June 23
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Southwest monsoon rains have covered half of India two days ahead of the usual date and was expected to hit Delhi on June 23, a week ahead of its normal onset on June 29.
Northern India was cloudy and drenched by showers in many places on Thursday as rains arrived in Rajasthan five days before it was due, bringing about a sharp decline in temperatures.
Heavy rainfall and inclement weather was reported in several parts of the region where a farmer was killed in Himachal Pradesh by a lightning bolt in Mandi district.
In Delhi, scattered showers and overcast conditions meant it was a pleasant day for residents with the maximum temperature dropping seven notches from yesterday to settle at 32.8 degrees.
The monsoon arrived on schedule on the Kerala coast on June 1, and then spread inland faster than usual. Rainfall from June 1 to 12 was 23 percent above average, triggering early planting for a host of summer crops, including rice, oilseeds and cotton, in many parts of the country.
Seven southern and western states, including Maharashtra, that which were hit by drought last year need plentiful and timely rain to assist a recovery and appear to have received ample downpours early.
The weatherman has predicted a decent spell of rain over the next couple of days which is expected to keep the mercury below normal levels.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender