Monsoon onset in Andamans expected in 2-3 days: IMD
New Delhi: Aided by raging cyclone Mahasen, south west monsoon, the lifeline for millions of farmers, is all set to bring showers over the Andaman Sea in the next two to three days.
"Conditions are favourable for advance of south west monsoon over Andaman Sea and adjoining sea areas during next 2-3 days," the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said on Tuesday.
Weather scientists said cyclone Mahasen, which has been churning the Bay of Bengal clocking wind speed of upto 75 km per hour, is expected to help in the onset of monsoon over Andaman Sea.
Andaman and Nicobar Islands usually receive monsoon showers between May 10 and May 20.
Under the influence of Mahasen which is likely to lash many parts of coastal Odisha and some other areas, Andaman and Nicobar Islands region has been experiencing heavy rainfall and squally winds of upto 40-45 km per hour.
Last month, the weather office had forecast normal monsoon this year with overall rainfall expected to be 98 per cent of the long period average.
Monsoon is crucial for the kharif crops such as rice, soyabean, cotton and maize because almost 60 per cent of the farm land in the country is rainfed.
Meanwhile, the annual conference of relief commissioners and functionaries of Departments of Disaster Management of the states today reviewed the preparedness to deal with disasters.
The capacities of early warning systems have been strengthened but there was a need to augment multi-sectoral approach in dealing with disasters, AK Mangotra, Secretary (Border Management) in the Union Home Ministry said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory