Monsoon rains cover half of India, says weather officials
New Delhi: India`s annual monsoon rains have covered half of the land mass four days later than the usual date, sources in the weather office said on Thursday.
The monsoon rains arrived five days behind schedule over the southern Kerala coast on June 6, and had since progressed at a slower pace over mainland India.
Last year, the annual rains covered half of the country by June 13, two days ahead of the usual date of June 15.
The rains are crucial for about half of farmland without irrigation in India, one of the world`s top producers and consumers of grains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state