Monsoon rains cover half of India, says weather officials
New Delhi: India`s annual monsoon rains have covered half of the land mass four days later than the usual date, sources in the weather office said on Thursday.
The monsoon rains arrived five days behind schedule over the southern Kerala coast on June 6, and had since progressed at a slower pace over mainland India.
Last year, the annual rains covered half of the country by June 13, two days ahead of the usual date of June 15.
The rains are crucial for about half of farmland without irrigation in India, one of the world`s top producers and consumers of grains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding