Monsoon rally in Aug cuts rain deficiency to 9 pc
New Delhi: Riding on surplus August rains, the south-west monsoon for the first time touched the near normal level with the rainfall deficit narrowing down to nine per cent of the seasonal average.
The remarkable August rainfall rally saw 26 of the 36 meteorological sub-divisions get excess or normal monsoon.
Rains were deficient in nine sub-divisions and scanty in one -- Saurashtra and Kutch region.
The month of August saw the country receive 264. 7 mm rainfall as against the normal of 261 mm, showing an excess of about one per cent.
In June, the country received 31 per cent deficient rains than normal while July saw a monsoon deficiency of 13 per cent which had prompted the government to roll out a slew of measures to tackle the then impending drought-like situation.
Till yesterday as much as 68 per cent of the country has received normal or excess rain this season, while the rest have had deficient rainfall, India Meteorological Department (IMD) data showed.
Saurashtra and Kutch, Punjab, Gujarat region, Haryana, West Uttar Pradesh, Marathwada and Bihar are the regions worst hit by deficient rains.
The deficiency in these regions range from 60 per cent to 28 per cent.
Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura have also received 33 per cent deficient rainfall since the delayed onset of monsoon this season.
The weather office said monsoon was vigorous over West Rajasthan, Saurashtra and Kutch and active over Andaman and Nicobar, Himachal Pradesh, east Rajasthan, Gujarat region and coastal Karnataka during the 24 hours ending Saturday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now