Monsoon rally in Aug cuts rain deficiency to 9 pc
New Delhi: Riding on surplus August rains, the south-west monsoon for the first time touched the near normal level with the rainfall deficit narrowing down to nine per cent of the seasonal average.
The remarkable August rainfall rally saw 26 of the 36 meteorological sub-divisions get excess or normal monsoon.
Rains were deficient in nine sub-divisions and scanty in one -- Saurashtra and Kutch region.
The month of August saw the country receive 264. 7 mm rainfall as against the normal of 261 mm, showing an excess of about one per cent.
In June, the country received 31 per cent deficient rains than normal while July saw a monsoon deficiency of 13 per cent which had prompted the government to roll out a slew of measures to tackle the then impending drought-like situation.
Till yesterday as much as 68 per cent of the country has received normal or excess rain this season, while the rest have had deficient rainfall, India Meteorological Department (IMD) data showed.
Saurashtra and Kutch, Punjab, Gujarat region, Haryana, West Uttar Pradesh, Marathwada and Bihar are the regions worst hit by deficient rains.
The deficiency in these regions range from 60 per cent to 28 per cent.
Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram and Tripura have also received 33 per cent deficient rainfall since the delayed onset of monsoon this season.
The weather office said monsoon was vigorous over West Rajasthan, Saurashtra and Kutch and active over Andaman and Nicobar, Himachal Pradesh, east Rajasthan, Gujarat region and coastal Karnataka during the 24 hours ending Saturday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!