Monsoon reaches Odisha, Bihar, Bengal, to hit eastern UP by Friday
New Delhi: After a five to seven-day delay, the southwest monsoon today hit Odisha, Bihar and West Bengal, cheering farmers and bringing relief from prolonged spells of heat and humidity, and is expected to reach eastern Uttar Pradesh and Jharkhand by Friday.
Director of the meteorological centre in Bhubaneshwar S C Sahu said the monsoon is covering Odisha`s coastal districts of Puri, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapara, Bhadrak and Balasore and parts of districts like Gajapati, Ganjam, Khurda, Cuttack, Jajpur, Keonjhar and Mayurbhanj.
The light to moderate pre-monsoon rains yesterday considerably lowered the temperature providing relief to the people and bringing respite to farmers and the common man. Usually, the monsoon reaches Odisha by June 13.
The monsoon reached Bihar after a week`s delay causing moderate rainfall in northern and north-eastern districts of the state, a MET department official said in Patna.
Moderate to light rains will lash these border districts over the next three days, the official said, adding the monsoon will spread over to south-west districts from June 20 next and the entire state.
The entire state will receive good rainfall for next four days from June 20, the Patna MET director said. In West Bengal, the monsoon hit the gangetic plains eight days behind schedule providing relief from hot and humid conditions.
"Monsoon arrived in most parts of West Bengal today", regional Met director G C Debnath said here adding "as a result, rainfall will be fairly widespread over all districts of the state.
He said that from June 20 onwards, heavy rainfall would occur in Terai region of Darjeeling, Coochbehar and Jalpaiguri districts.
The Indian Met Department said in Delhi that "conditions are favourable for further advance of the southwest monsoon into remaining parts of coastal Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Gangetic West Bengal, Jharkhand, Bihar and some parts of Telangana, Chhattisgarh, Vidarbha and eastern Uttar Pradesh during next 48 hours".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow