Monsoon session 2nd most chaotic during current LS
New Delhi: After the Winter session last year which was washed away over the 2G scam issue, the Monsoon session of Parliament that concluded on Thursday was the second most tumultuous session during the current Lok Sabha.
The Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha saw frequent disruptions with at least half of the 26 sittings getting paralysed over a range of issues from Anna Hazare to Gujarat Lokayukta and cash-for-vote scam.
Despite the government having a heavy agenda with 30 odd bills, frequent disruptions and forced adjournments ensured passage of only 14 bills in Lok Sabha and just nine in the Rajya Sabha.
While adjourning the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha sine die, Speaker Meira Kumar and Chairman Hamid Ansari lamented the loss due to frequent interruptions.
"Regrettably, we lost over 51 hours and six minutes due to interruptions followed by forced adjournments," Kumar said noting that the session had 26 sittings spread over 104 hours and three minutes.
She frowned upon the repeated demands for suspension of Question Hour leading to its disruption.
"I hope in future the House will not allow suspension or disruption of the Question Hour since it is irretrievable," she said.
Expressing indignation over the frequent disruptions, Ansari said, "It being the Monsoon session, (the House) has lived up to its appellation with stormy proceedings....Many matters of public importance remained unattended.
"This is a sad commentary on the right and duty of the members who participate meaningfully in the proceedings of the House. It calls for introspection..."
The Upper House, however, created history by adopting a motion for removal of Calcutta High Court Judge Soumitra Sen on charges of misappropriation of funds.
Another hallmark of the six-week long session was the discussion on the issue of the Lokpal Bill after which the two Houses conveyed "sense of the House" on the issue that facilitated end of the 12-day long fast of Anna Hazare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened