Monsoon Session of Parliament likely after August 15
New Delhi: With ordinance promulgated on the Food Security Bill, Monsoon Session of Parliament is now expected to be convened only after August 15.
Government sources said that though no decision has been taken, there is no hurry to call the session with a section contending that it should start in early September.
Generally, the Monsoon Session commences in the third week of July and is spread over a month-long period.
Plans for convening of a Special Session have been given up in the wake of promulgation of the ordinance.
Earlier a section in the government was pitching for such a session for the passage of the Food Security Bill, which is being seen as a game changer for the Congress in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.
Government has plans to bring forward a number of economic legislations including the Land Acquisition Bill, Insurance Bill, Pension Bill, Companies Bill and the Direct Taxes Code Bill to give a boost to the sluggish economy.
Congress has been accusing the Opposition of blocking the Food Security Bill during the last Parliament session whose major portion was washed away by repeated disruptions over a variety of issues including the demand for resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh in the wake of the coal scam.
With the Assembly elections in four states scheduled by the year-end, party leaders from these states would like the Monsoon Session to be held as early as possible as it could give them sufficient time for campaigning.
The states which will have elections are Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video